Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Mobile Crisis Response Cancelled!!

It has been announced, that the Mobile Crisis Response Team in East Algoma, will be terminated, as of March 31st. It has been announced that the saved dollars, will now be used to increase day time service 8:30am -4:30pm.

The Ministry of Health, some ten years ago, funded this program to provide Crisis Response 24/7/365 days to the District of Algoma through the Sault Area Hospital for people with Mental Illness. “The goal is to have the Mobile Crisis Response Team arrive at the office within 30 minutes. “The Mobile team works very closely with the Crisis Department to ensure staff safety and to provide the best possible service to the client” says McLean.” http://www.sah.on.ca/index.php?pageid=260&news_id=44

“Mobile Crisis Response provides a community co-operative response for individuals with a serious mental illness, or individuals in crisis. “Our Mobile Crisis Response Team is very well trained to attend to crises and is available on call to respond to emergencies”, says Kathleen McLean, Manager Community Mental Health Programs. “All crisis calls come to the Crisis Department and staff determines whether the Mobile Crisis Response Team will be dispatched to attend to the call.” http://www.sah.on.ca/index.php?pageid=260&news_id=44 

Questions:
?         So, how would terminating evening services, meet the goal to respond to a person in crisis after 4:30pm?

?         Do we need more 8:30am- 4:30pm day time service?

?          Why are people not calling the Mobile Crisis Response Line?

?         Would it help you to call a ‘warm-line’ in the evening? – A person who listens to you, who you could talk things over with when you’re experiencing crisis?
           
What do we mean by a warm-line?
            It is a place to call when you need to connect with trained Peer-Support Survivors. Reasons for calling might be needing support, feeling isolated, or learning about some recovery skills. Some call because they are feeling frightened, sad or had a great day or wanted to share a success. It is not a crisis line but rather a place to talk and to be listened to. http://www.amistadinc.org/warline.php

1 comment:

  1. what if I need to have some help at 10 at night and end up going to the hospital and they don't have time and don't do anything and send me home? I will be in the same mood, may be even worse because nobody is helping me. What helps me is talking about things. I know because I have been there.
    I haven't called the crisis line again because I feel it is like calling a fridge. Very cold.
    I have some people I could call but i want to make friends with them and not call them when I am all screwed up in the head... During the day I can talk to people in agencies. My paranoia is not timed to daytime hours so I have a bad time when I am on my own .... and I can not hold my thoughts and fears in a cage and go to sleep and let them out in the morning when there is someone. Honestly! I wish I could.
    Yes I do have a crisis plan but when I am in crisis my thoughts are not so clear and I have a difficult time following my plan. If my head were clear I could but it is not when I am afraid.
    So I would like to say that I think a warm line would be worth it for me. Having people come in my house when I am sick is not a good idea. My house is messy and I would get even more paranoid that they would tell everyone and talk behind my back. You know they would too.

    ReplyDelete